Woody Allen, the US movie actor, comedian & director, is quoted as saying “80% of success is showing up”.
But, he’s not quoted as advising what the remaining 20% is. Is it a secret? I think not.
From my extensive reading, listening and practical no-nonsense marketing consulting I’ll share with you my process towards success.
1. Focused Preparation – Be clear on what you wish to achieve and prepare for what needs to be done to achieve it.
2. Turn Up – Your preparation can only be actioned if you turn up to activate it. Make sure you’re in the right place too!
3. Work the Plan – Not everything may go exactly to plan but if you do your best there won’t be any ‘what ifs’ later.
4. Leave – Know when to leave. Create maximum impact but don’t overstay or things may start working against you.
5. Focused Follow-up – What did you learn?, Who did you meet? What do you need to do next? Don’t procrastinate – strike while the iron’s hot.
6. Repeat – Learn from steps 1 to 5 so you can make improvements for the next time. Success is a process not a destination.
Is 80% of success showing up? I think not.
I feel showing up is actually 20% and what you do before, during, and after is what maximises the success.